Job Hunting

Way back in 2007, we took a great vacation to NYC. The day I got back to work, I lost my job to a "reduction in force". It made me wonder if I had to have, on average, a dull life: Every good time balanced by a bad time. So I got severance, and unemployment, and in September of 2008 I lowered my aim, and decided to do anything for $10 an hour. I quickly found a job in retail, and I found I enjoyed helping customers, solving their problems, explaining technology. Almost every customer would say something like, "I don't know anything about all this stuff." I explained it to them in terms they could understand, and they liked it. The pay was nothing compared to the old job, but I had a purpose. In June 2012, the store was closed.
I am back to looking for a job, and I don't want a job just for the money. I want to be part of something. I want to be treated like I am useful, both to the customer and my employer. Instead, I see ads for jobs I am not quite qualified for, or with companies whose sole purpose is to please stockholders. "Do as you're told, and you get a paycheck."
I believe if you do right by employees, they will do right by customers, and the money will come. I am influenced in these ideas by Guy Kawasaki and Gary Sinek. Sinek's Start With Why book and website talk about why Apple is so successful with a cult following. Remember the "Think Different" campaign? What does that have to do with selling computers? If you start with why, people will follow you.
I would love to work at a non-profit like Venture Richmond. I can do so many things including databases, web design, IT, repairs, and photography. I may be hoping for too much.
That is the big downer of looking for a job. If you told me I had to walk 100 miles to get a job, I would put on my shoes. Make it a 1000 miles, and I would mutter something and start walking. But a job search is not a long, hard walk, but like a maze, and there may not be any exit. The only exit may be into retail, working with kids and crazy hours.
So I go on putting in applications and waiting for a new home, trying to keep myself sane. I'll rant more soon about how I screwed up and got into this hole.

1 comment:

Jamie Duncan said...

It makes me angry because it takes about 30 seconds of talking to you that you are one of the people who should be employed. You get it at the right level. You can analyze a problem. Seeing people like you stuck in a job hunt is infuriating.