Bradbury

When Ray Bradbury died, the library set up a table with his books. I picked up one I did not remember, and I found several stories I had not read, and many I read so long ago they were still like new. The book is "The Toynbee Covector" and it was one of his last books of mostly new stories, although he reworked some old material into new books. Most people know of Ray Bradbury as a "science fiction" author. In many cases, they are thinking "only a science fiction author." This book has only one story that is science fiction. There are several mild horror stories, a few that are not normal everyday life, but not sciency, and many that are funny.
In all of them, there is poetry. There are tiny phrases that say pages. "His smile was the alcoholic's smile. He was drunk on himself." In another story, a great old man tells a bored twelve year old boy that he has "The Desperate Empties". There is no way to make movies and TV out of his stories, because they are more like poetry. He even published a book of poetry, but I loaned it and lost it. Give Bradbury a chance. I like science fiction, but this is much more.

No comments: