Photography

I began photography when I was taking art in 8th grade.It was not part of the course. I just thought it would be nice to compose a picture and be done with it in a fraction of a second. I mostly drew straight reality. Sometimes a friend asks about tips for composition. There are some "rules" but I have my own way of looking at it.
1. Never center the subject. Unless you want to center it. Sometimes the symmetry is the point. But if there is even a little asymmetry, move to that side.
2. The rule of thirds: Make a grid of three sections vertical and three horizontal. Put major lines such as the horizon, on the grid and subject on an intersection. It works, but it can fail if your subject is not objects but large features.
3. My rule: Try to forget where you are. Only see through the viewfinder. You will find your eye moving to one edge. Move the camera until your eye stays in the frame. If you want to see something to the side, the composition is not best. It takes time to get good at this.
I have a pair of pictures taken at the same time that show how delicate all this is. I stood in the same spot, and the pictures are only slightly different, yet one is better.

No comments: