Mensa

I still don't have a job, so I went looking for some mental stimulation. I found the Mensa workout, a set of 30 questions to be done in 30 minutes. As usual with Mensa quizes, the math questions were pretty easy, and the word problems are hard. I guess that is just my kind of intelligence, but I really think math is more useful than being able to unscramble letters of a word. The funny thng about it was on the scoring page. It said, "That is a very good score, you would have a good chance of passing the Mensa test." I am happy to hear that, but notice that this is a grammatical error called a comma splice, two sentences are connected by a comma. A semicolon is the correct punctuation, or a period and two separate sentences.
I have never been interested in Mensa because I have met one person who was a member, and she was an insufferable snob about it. I hope I have met many members, but they don't brag about it.
Apparently they get together and play games. You could say that smart people like to play games, but maybe people who like to play games get smart.
I am not talking about video games, even the new IQ booster games like Brain Age. I have heard that users of these games did not improve their scores on other similar games, which suggests that users are not improving their brain function, but just getting good at specific game tasks. So playing Sudoku may not help you in your daily life unless you do it professionally. It might be better to learn Poker.
I don't know if games will make you smarter, but my brain could use some stimulation. I can't watch TV like I did when I was working. At the end of a long day, some mindless entertainment is a good thing. Now I need more. I am looking for a chat room for smart people, or games for smart people.
Trivial Pursuit
is not for smart people. It is for Liberal Arts majors. They ask, "What was the name of Earnest Hemingway's favorite cat?" and then in the "science and technology" category, they ask, "What did King Gillette invent?" Can you guess? (What a name. I have heard dogs called Prince, but never a kid named King. Queen Latifah's real name is Dana Elaine Owens.) (Whoopee Goldberg's real name is Karen Johnson. Some people need a stage name.)
Enough. I am going to go for a walk and photograph hairy caterpillars.

No comments: